Sunday, January 3, 2010

Oh Capitan Mi Capitan




Smarty-pants Jorge passed his test to become a Captain in the Air Force a few months ago and I couldn’t be more proud. His official promotion took place on New Year’s Eve at the Colonel’s house on base. We all gathered for drinks and snacky things and then the Colonel made a lovely speech that I didn’t understand a word of because my Spanish still sucks, especially when I am in high pressured situations. But I did enjoy watching his dancing moustache while he formally addressed the crowd.




Then we toasted all those being promoted. Then it was me who changed Jorge's “Caponas.” They are the thingys that rest on the shoulders of his uniform. I changed them from the Lieutenant stripes to the Captain stripes. Oooo la la!



And then, as is tradition in the Peruvian Air Force, I got to pour the first drops of champagne on his new caponas. Then everyone else poured it on him too…I’m not sure exactly why they do this, but I don’t really need an explanation because it was totally fun. Congrats Captain Coco!







After Jorge’s promotion we hit the town with the rest of the Air Force gang in a big ol’ bus, which I think might be one of only two buses that I have seen in this whole city. We went to a resort/restaraunt on the outskirts of Iquitos.









And of course there were plenty of crazy Peruvian props to really give the night all of the spirit it deserved.










There was a live band and plenty of dancing. And at one point the stilt clowns and jokers showed up, but this time they brought a giant shark with them.






Jorge was in charge of the champagne geyser, good job babe. Yet another great reason to promote you to Captain.



We had tons of fun and I hope you all had a great New Year’s too. More importantly I hope you are all blessed this year. I know a lot of beautiful people in my life who have had a year that was more than a “little rough”…so Salud Chicos! To a New Year!

1 comment:

barbara said...

Congratulations, Captain Coco! Well Done! Looks like a GREAT party! Um, Annie, those those shoulder "thingys" are called epulates, at least in english...