Friday, June 24, 2011

Happy San Juan

Today is the birthday of St. John or San Juan. And today is one of the biggest holidays in Iquitos. Saint John is kind of the designated Saint of the Amazon. It´s not a special day in other parts of Peru, it is truly a regional holiday special to Iquitos. While I´ll be working this weekend, everyone else will be gathered together enjoying people´s company drinking lots and eating Juanes....which actually represent the decapitated head of St. John, wierd, I know. But in order to celebrate at our Preschool all the children dressed up in traditional clothes and we created our own Húmisha in the back garden. We danced and threw corn flower all over each other. Then we knocked our Húmisha down and ate Juanes. I had so much fun playing with the kids. Usually when I´m there I´m in teaching mode, but this day was all play mode. And could my students be any more riduculously adorable?

No comments: