Friday, February 17, 2012

El Museo de La Nacion


Coco and I had a chance to visit one of the largest museums in Lima. This museum is called Museo de La Nacion and it has 6 different floors of collections about different aspects of Peruvian history and culture. We visited the exhibit that showcased all of the art, ceramics, textiles, and other artifacts that Peru is so famous for. We saw an exhibit about a large rope bridge made completely out of straw that is reconstructed once a year in a small village. We also saw the exhibit about the Inca Road built by the Incan Empire as a sort of super highway for trade and transportation all the way from Ecuador down to Chile.


The following picture is for my dad. It shows the mailmen who ran up and down the Inca Road delivering mail throughout the empire. I don´t know if my dad would have enjoyed delivering mail in that uniform...


I found all of the exhibits fascinating. The more I can learn about Coco´s culture, the better. The exhibit that had the most impact on me was the exhibit about the terrorist conflict that occured in the 1980´s and 1990´s. I had heard bits and pieces about the brutality and violence that the Shining Path group inflicted on the people of Peru, but I never really understood the the full story. The exhibit covered the expanse of the conflict from the moment it started untill the day the group´s leader was captured and some of the events that followed. The graphic pictures and personal accounts of the conflict made me realize that it must have been such a difficult and terrifying time for Peruvians to have to live in constant fear and endure unnecessary suffering. But I am impressed with the resolve and endurance of Peruvians to triumph over the Shining Path and similar groups to regain peace in their country.


No comments: