Sunday, October 10, 2010

10.10.10





On Sunday was the tenth day of the tenth month in the year 2010. And it was also my birthday. This is the second birthday I have celebrated in Peru since I have now been living here for officially a year. Holy moly, time is flying by. Well this birthday was amazing and special for several reasons. One reason is that my husband put so much thought and effort into making a special birthday for me, that I ended up feeling pretty overwhlemed with all of it.

We decided to have a small celebration in our house and then go out dancing. And I have to take a moment to just praise my husband all his hard work. He put his creative cooking skills to the test and planned a fabulous menu of appetizers that included tequeños, mini causas, nachos, homemade hummus dip, chicken teryaki kabobs, caprese, and lots of guacamole. He did all the shopping, cooking, phone calling, helped me clean the house all before the guests arrived.






And in typical Peruvian time everyone showed up about an hour late....aka ¨right on time.¨ We were so happy to be hosting our first real party in our house.





We enjoyed having our friends over and then we went to a nightclub in Iquitos called ¨Mixtura¨ where we danced untill my feet hurt. I wish I wouldd have taken more pictures of the interior of the place. It was jungle style meets modern night club. It had a high ceiling with roof made from leaves and walls made from local wood that had been carefully laid into intricate patterns. There was a waterfall in one corner and a flat screen tvs and lights flashing everywhere. We had the chance to hang out in the VIP area when we discovered our friend had a friend who knew the owner, its a small world here in Peru.






The next day Coco sent me on a scavenger hunt throughout the house and at the end of it I found a really special gift.....a new camera...just the type I have been dreaming about for years. I cried like a baby because I was so touched and surprised (You can see this dramatic moment in the terrible picture of me below). So, there will be lots of new pictures to come as I play with my new camera. I know that some of you are getting a little anxious for pictures of our house in Iquitos. So I´ll make that a priority.



It was a great birthday and I was so happy to recieve so many sweet messages from California. Thanks to everybody for the birthday wishes.

2 comments:

barbara said...

Andrea, my darling daughter. This is actually one of the most beautiful pictures of you I have ever seen. As it shows your raw emotions of joy, love, surprise, and awe.
Coco, you made my daughter's camera dreams come true and gave her a very happy birthday in so many ways! Kurt and I both thank you for that.
Happy birthday, darling baby girl, Annnie. Dad and love you more than we can say!

Annie said...

aw mom! i am so thankful for coco and all the amazing people filling my life with amazingness. and i had the chance to use my new camera during coco´s flight today! i got some great pictures. i love you!