Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Rescued Plane





Here on the base the Air Force recently finished a restoration of an old abandoned plane. The plane is called the Catalina. It had been abandoned because when the Air Force ¨renovated their fleet,¨ (I think that´s the terminolgy my husband used,) they didn´t use the plane anymore because it was too outdated to get parts for repair and they began using more modern planes. I guess its like tossing out an old pair of shoes because they went out of style.




A Captain here decided that instead of letting it rot, to rebuild the plane and diplay it on base. It was rebuilt form the outside only, none of the internal parts are included. The whole reconstruction took about a month and here´s some of what the rebuild process looked like.


I think the final product was worth it. And passing by it makes me think of old World War II movies. The plane was used in battle all throughout the 1940´s.







No comments: